Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I ain't afraid of no apparition!!!

THE APPARITION (2012)

As many of you are aware, I, your old pal Ken Bucklesworth, am a man.  And like most men, I tend to keep my emotions to myself.  However, I feel I should unburden myself a little to you today.  Call it a self therapy thing if you will.  In this case, my issue revolves around movie trailers.  Most trailers you see have the ability to stir up excitement about the movie advertised, and say things like "the must-see movie of the year", "the scariest movie in years", etc.  And I admit, I'm prone to the fancy wordplay and the epic orchestral piece playing along for dramatic effect (except for comedy trailers, don't get me started on why I dislike those.  Maybe another time I'll get into that whole thing).  But this trailer rant does have a point.  Sometimes trailers are too good at selling people on watching this or that flick.  Which is where we get into The Apparition.

Some of you fine people may recall that The Apparition was the second trailer I included for my Trailer Trash post a little ways back.  And at the time, it looked like it was going to be a pretty creepy flick, which of course I'm always looking forward to.  And you know what?  Just before I typed this sentence, I even went back and watched the trailer again, and it still looks appealing.  But the second watch made me realize something: the trailer showed pretty much EVERYTHING interesting that happened in the movie.  And to be honest, that sorta thing almost makes a tiny part of me die inside every time I get fooled like that.  I know what you might be thinking:  "But Ken, you handsome devil, it's just a movie".  Well yes, it is just a movie.  But at the same time, to people like Chuck Boonsweet and myself, it's a little more than that.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be here reviewing them. 

So the deal is this.  A few college kids get together to recreate an experiment done in the 70's to conjure up a spirit.  Why?  Who cares, it keeps the kids off the streets right?  Unfortunately, it goes too well.  And one of the people responsible gets hers in some logic defying death.  Personally, I don't know why the spirit is trying to off the ones who summoned it.  Personally, I'd at least be grateful enough to spare them and go after more unsuspecting victims.  Anyway, that opening sequence only makes up for about 6 minutes of the movie.  The majority revolves around one of the college students (Ben) some time later, who, with his girlfriend, gets harassed by a spirit again.  Why?  Because the moron who headed the first experiment (Patrick) TRIED IT AGAIN!!! 

I really wanted to like this one, I really did.  I mean, Ben and his girlfriend were easy to like for the most part, most of the creepy parts were just that, creepy.  And it had a lot of potential.  But it was just so bland.  And as I said earlier, all the creepy and interesting parts were crammed into a two and a half minute trailer, which leaves you with a lot of "nothing important happening" filling in the rest.  And yeah, I know Ben was involved with the first experiment, so the spirit possibly remembers who Ben is.  But neither he nor his girlfriend were involved with the second round, and is staying in a house who knows how far away, so I have trouble believing that he would be a primary target.  But it really doesn't matter, because this flick is really not worth the brainpower. 

At any rate, if you haven't seen it, and curiosity is eating away at you to know for yourself, it's coming out on Blu-ray November 27.  So feel free to watch and see for yourself.  And any of you who have/will watch it feel free to let me know what you thought of it. 

Movie rating: 1.5 out of 5 stars
Horror rating: 2 out of 5 stars

- Ken Bucklesworth, signing off.

No comments: