Thursday, June 26, 2014

Destruction, oh sweet sweet Indonesian Destruction.

THE RAID 2 (2014)



I let this movie sit with me for a bit because I wanted to make sure I wasn't just dealing with my initial "WOW" factor. I mean, my jaw hit the floor so many times during this movie I had to set a pillow at my feet... (Baddabing!)

Now, here I am, film processed, and well... I'm going to say it: I think this may be the best pure action film ever made. EVER Booniacs and Buckleheads.

Ok, lets get into some plot here. SO in the first film - Which I am sure you watched in the wake of my glowing review - Our hero Rama went into a drug building with his swat buddies and they all died, and Rama had to kick and punch every one in the face. In this here sequel, he now has the evidence he thinks will but away the dirty cops... but as he is told there is still much work to be done. That work includes going to prison befriending a Mobsters son. This then leads to complications when he gets out and finds himself smack dab in the middle of a Mob war with little to no support... Whats one Indonesian cop to do? Thats right. Kick and punch Ever-damn-body.

Wait. No Dammit, we messed the handshake up - again. 
I usually don't have a problem working the english language. Hell, you might say a have a certain flair from verbs, and translating awesomeness to word. But this film, trying to capture it in blog is like sticking your tongue out in a rainstorm hoping to taste lightening.

First if you have ever enjoyed a karate, Kung Fu, or hell even a fist fight showdown, this movie must be seen. But I will go further, if you have ever enjoyed an action film ever, WATCH THIS MOVIE! It's that simple.

Director Gareth Evans has one hell of a future. His knack for camera work is just unbelievable. Annnnnnnd one of the best things about it - Long shots. He lets the camera set there and catch everything. Yes there are cuts but we are talking every 15-30 secs not every 2-3 seconds like in your average North American film. He really gets to show off here including a car chase that more or less felt like he was just saying "Look what I can do better than you America" haha. It's true this type of filming makes for some difficulties, like time to get a scene done right (the final fight apparently took 2 weeks to film) but it is so worth it.

Here, let me get that top button for you. 

The Lead played by Iko Uwais is again great. He oozes charisma and honestly, has acting chops are little above his foot to face peers. Boy freaking howdy can he fight. But the supporting team around him is great. A deaf girl with two hammers, a hooded man with a bat and ball. A strange big haired bum looking guy that can kick everyones ass... (an actor from the first returning for so more whooping). There is just so much to love here...

This movie is 2 1/2 hours. Thats 150 minutes. And you will feel like you blinked and it was over. Yes there is plot, hell, the plot is actually pretty damn enjoyable. Standard fare with a Mob boss' son unhappy with the fact he doesn't run the organization. There is just so much action here, it flies by.

Now lets talk violence.

Oh man lets talk violence.

Forget greatest action movie, this could be the bloodiest (wait maybe thats the same thing?). I mean broken bones, faces, baseball bat chaos... Did I mention the chick that fights with two hammers? Trust me, anything you are imaging doesn't not cover it.

A blast of pure adrenaline. When you consider this film is at almost a 9 on IMDB you really start to realize just the love people around the world are having for this film.

Listen you could complain about the plot, hell, maybe if you really tried you can pick apart some acting. But what do you need from an action film? A story that holds together long enough to allow the action to come flying at you. No one, and I mean no one, leaves a theatre going - Wow you know what made that Action film awesome that wicked story. Its all about the action, and since that is scale we are grading on...

Make time!!

Movie scale 4 out of 5 stars
Action Movie scale 5 out of 5 stars. Thats it, a perfect genre score. To my knowledge I believe the first of it's kind on my sweet sweet here blog.

I am still smiling, I cannot wait to show this film to everyone I know. This is one that you will be slapping your boys shoulders going O-M-G did you... damn!

- Chuck B


No comments: