Friday, August 12, 2011

PIMP THAT RIDE

LINCOLN LAWYER (2011)

The plot is as such... Mattey McConaughey (for the first I am spelling, or copying and pasting that only this once, for the sake of my fingers he will B Matty Mac) is a lawyer who believes absolute that all are entitled to a fair defense. In face a superb defense, a role he relishes. Defending the undefendable. This has cost him much in his life, but hey at least he has his principals, and a Black guy to drive his Lincoln (ya, I wont even touch the question there, did I mention he wears a lil 50s hat too... No no jokes, moving on). His office is in the Lincoln backseat by the way. Anywho he eventually finds a client that will test his worth as a man, and as a lawyer.

Ok so did I make that sound like it sucked? Like you've seen it before? Like F Matty Mac? Well it was suppose to be all those things. Yet for some reason I found myself approaching this movie with a sense of hope. Much the way a child approaches a used bag of ruffles potato chips (PLUG!) hoping to find some delicious and crunchy remains. Part of that hope was that a few people actually let me know that the film had impressed them. People I trusted, people I knew to be thoroughly unimpressed with all of Matty Mac's ROMCOM shizzie (possible exception "How to lose a guy").

This is actually a very well written, and exciting, old fashioned (with a new twist) law film. I am sure that much of that goes to the original novel the film sprang from. I could definitely see places that the screenplay over looked back story and character development on a few key members of the supporting class. However that was the best choice, focusing on Matty Mac and the court room drama is what was needed. It's enough. Matty Mac is actually very good in this, as is the often underrated Ryan Phillipe (see "Franklyn" or "Way of the gun" if any of you ho Nuggets doubt me). Should not have been a complete surprise having suddenly remember his previous turn as a lawyer in " A time to kill". He is at home in this role and he makes it his own. Enough charm buried in his conflict to ensnare the passer by.

I will admit to loving Lawyer films, but so often they get lost in their own attempts to complicate, and complex up the drama. This is simple brain vs brain, evil vs good... winner take the verdict. I had a blast. The ending does leave a little to be desired, and seems a lil too convenient (I have my own band of merry drug dealing bikers) but... still F-U-N fun lol...

LAW FILM SCALE 3.75 out of five stars
MOVIE SCALE 3 out of 5 stars...

COURT is in session bitches!

Chucky B is out!

No comments: