Thursday, June 11, 2020

SERIES SERIOUS: DCEU ANIMATED FILMS PART 2

The idea... some larger series... that I love/enjoy/tolerate... that I simply am not going to put the time into a full giant review for each, well SERIES SERIOUS here we come. Now, doesn't mean some of these films won't warrant full reviews - for sure - just means I can give you my two (possibly 3) cents on a bunch of films ... or hell maybe TV, or anything dang. I am BOONSWEET and I do what I want.

NOTE: All reviews within a SERIES SERIOUS SEGMENT - will be held/judged against the other films within the series. So - not saying they ain't worthy on their own, but, expectations, and consideration here people.

WELL... here we go folks. The DC animated world - part twoooooooooo. So much fun being had here. Am I wearing a towel around my neck pretending to fly in between paragraphs... no... should you. Yes. Will I soon. Possible.

Enjoy Booniacs!!!!!

SUPERMAN: UNBOUND (2013)



I am not a fan of this films animation... don't get my wrong. Its not the worst, or even at the bottom, it just doesn't have the polish of some of the other films in the lineup. Lois' eyes match her blazer... I don't know why, but that really bugged me. That said. This movie is a lot of fun. Based on the comic mini series? Or graphic novel... can't remember which, lots of action - and supergirl - in her natural teen state )sorry super girl show, I really, really wanted to like you... I did). There is some great action. Some solid writing, and a pretty cool final boss fight. A good time.

Movie rating: 3.5 of out 5 stars

JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS (2010)



The crisis stories in the DC comic canon are all a great time. I personally love FINAL CRISIS... there were legit page turn in shock moments... but they were all fun. So any version brought to the small/big screen was gunna be a good time, and this delivers. Alternate universes, with alternate versions of heres, and villains. Some solid back and forth. A couple of awesome batman moments, not perfect, not a real by the book telling of the comic... but in this case, fun is fun. Well worth the money.

Movie Scale 3.5 out of 5 stars

GEN 13 (2000)



Well. Here is the first official surprise... WTF moment of this DC adventure. #1. I didn't know this movie existed... I'm man enough to admit it. 2. Its a daaaaaaaammmmm great time. Looking into it - the creator of the comic (an over sexed over violent bit of awesomeness that melted my teenage brain in all the ways thats matter. And if you don't want sex and violence in your comics - 100% ok. There is plenty out there for you. But this was for me dang it) raised the funds for this himself... made it himself, got some pretty great voice talent in it... and then made an (almost) R rated animated movie that in 2000 - before everyone hopped on the R rating is cool train... DC did not know what to do with it - so they just left it to the abyss. But. (youtube) It is there for the world. It has an awesome mix of old school 80s animation... crossed with surprising adult content... I just really enjoyed it. Maybe because I had forgotten gen 13 was a thing... and then I saw a giant redhead chick smashing things and I was like - oh yeah... I liked this. And still do. DC WHERE IS THE BLURAY RELEASE! My goodness the nets eat this up. Saturday morning cartoons for adults!

Movie Scale 4 out of 5 stars

(yes I know a little high, but the love for this film from the cast and director just pours through - and maybe the most "Source material" respectful of this entire list)

BATMAN UNLIMITED: ANIMAL INSTINCTS



OK.
After watching this I researched it - apparently there are a few of these Batman unlimited movies out there that were basically to sell toys? Or such. I mean, kinda cool, they have some of the voice actors from the LEGENDARY Batman: The animated series. So theres that. But the movie is basically a 10 minute loop on repeat. Essentially. Heroes meet badguys... 1 on 1... they their friends join. Jokes are hurled at each other - bad ones, and then robot animals show up to allow the bad guys to win/escape. No joke. This happens 3-4 times... in a what 75 minute movie... And also... I'm not really sure what the creepy march of the penguins moment at the end is? I mean, there penguins... even with rockets strapped to them (burton you maniacal - well, you maniacal) they are still cute. Nothing to recommend here.

1 out of 5 stars

TEEN TITANS: JUDAS CONTRACT



So, I am both against what they did with this NEW 52 animated films and for it On the one hand, I feel many of these stories - the Judas Contract for example (generally considered one of the greatest comic stories of all time) - when being translated to animated format... especially a story that is a mere 3-4 issues, just make the comic. It's that simple. Just make the damn comic. The characters, the look (and I will end mini rant there) But ON THE OTHER hand... having recently finished the New 52 expanded animated film universe - and revisiting this film, I actually really like it. It's dark, and funny, and has some of the best banter in the entire DC animated film universe. Another thing I like here... its slow. It takes time to build, there is a lot of character time here, and with likeable - or well - enjoyable characters and chat, its a great time, with a pretty solid payoff. One of the 5 films - Flashpoint - Justice league WAR - Son of Batman - (teen titans roughly here) - Justice league dark - you refs need to watch before your brain can process the awesome of the finale - Apokolips WAR... review to be seen soon!!

Also in case you are wondering.... they really do manage to capture some of the real joy and tragedy of the original comic run. Just for the record. I aint the type to hate something just cause it aint the original - they get some points for sure.

4 out of 5 stars



No comments: